Sunday, April 28, 2013

The Problem with Rescue and Gift Animals


Photo by www.porterturkeys.com

When we bought our first sheep, the owner said they were registrable but is wasn't something he did.  Then when we went to get them we didn’t know anything about sheep I looked up on the internet so we would know what to get.  They were supposed to be Shetland Sheep and maybe they are Shetland crosses but even though I had looked up information as to what to look for I was so excited to get the sheep I didn’t pay attention to anything I had read the kids fell in love with 4 sheep and we brought them home.  While we were talking to their owner it became clear he ran a kind of private rescue operation.  At the time all our animals have been rescues or pets people didn’t want so it didn’t bother me.  We thought they were Shetland Sheep but,  I have no idea there real breed.  Deer I think is crossed with a hair sheep.  Blackwell looks like a Shetland – except she is larger and it looks like she had horns removed.  So here I am with 2 sheep who’s breed I really know nothing about. 
Palm (formerly known as Butter Ball) with the chickens.
When our friend gave us Butterball I kept asking her what it’s breed was.  She thought it was something broad breasted and since BBW or Broad Breasted White is a pretty popular breed we went on that assumption.  Today I went to the feed store and asked if he knew what he had sold to my friend.  Butterball isn’t a BBW at all.  Butterball is a Royal Palm Turkey.  http://www.avianweb.com/royalpalmturkeys.html
A beautiful, beautiful breed but we need to change it’s name, I don’t know if I will want to eat it if it is a boy.  But I don’t want a Royal Palm Tom around with the Bourbon Red turkeys.  Royal Palms are lawn decorations and not usually eaten.  If it is a girl will I want to cross breed it with the Bourbon Reds? 
Palm follows Tomas everywhere!  At first Tomas would try to herd Palm back to his enclosure but now he looks for Palm when he isn't within 5 feet of Tomas.  

1 comment: