Monday, April 8, 2013

April


The day after Easter was a beautiful spring day.  I got up early so I could spend extra time in the pasture checking out the new baby.  He was happy and energetic.  I checked the pasture again between morning and noon duty’s and everyone was fine.  When I came home from work at 1: we had a new calf.  Ruby gave birth while I was at work.  We have a beautiful new baby girl, April. 
I have been working with Ruby since we bought the Dexter Cattle 6 months ago in the hopes of milking her and sharing the milk with her calf.  The first morning after she gave birth I went out with a warm washcloth to clean her utter and just give her some extra love and she was happy with that.  Yay success!!! 
That night and the next morning she would not let me near her.  I bought some grain that cows are supposed to love – still she snubs her nose at me and the grain.  At this point I have decided I am too busy to milk anyway – maybe I will try in a few months.  I am not trying to touch her utter but still she will not let me near her.  She used to be my pal and follow me around the pasture. 


April and Peep are so much fun to watch on their wobbly legs playing around in the pasture.  Even though Peep is only 1 day older he is much bigger and sturdier than April.  

No comments:

Post a Comment