Saturday, April 6, 2013

Moon Lit Walks with My Husband




We had a beautiful full or almost full moon weekend.  The cattle were feeling it’s affects.  Friday night a neighbor used the arena that is in the pasture the cattle and left the gate open.  We were blissfully unaware of this as I put on my pajamas to watch a TV show and snuggle with Darling Husband until we received a phone call from our neighbors saying the cows were out.  We searched for flashlights and rounded up the cattle putting them with the help of our neighbors into a different pasture.  Not bad we were back in the house by 10:
The next night as the sun was setting and we were taking care of the rest of the animals Stick Boy looked at the cattle and Fillet our bull/steer was pushing through a hole in the fence that normally only the dogs can go through.  As we ran down to stop him 2 more cattle got out.  Since we could still see a little we decided to move the cattle back into the first pasture.  Everything looked good so we went to bed and didn’t worry. 
The next day we checked all the fencing in the pasture the cattle were in and felt safe in knowing they wouldn’t get out.  It had been a busy weekend doing I can’t remember what and I went to bed as the sun went down.  We got a call as soon as the moon came up – the cattle are out!  Our wonderful neighbors once again help us heard the stinking animals into a pasture that has new fencing on 3 sides.  I wanted to run a strand of electric fencing along the 4th side that we have not fixed yet.  Darling (or some other D word) Husband said I was crazy and it was too late to worry about the fencing.  Wonderful Teen Son helped me find some wire to patch a hole that the sheep had been using and we decide to call it a night.  I got up several times during the night to make sure all our cattle were where they belonged.


This is the hole in the fence Teen Son and I "fixed".
Opening gates when you have an electric fence is a challenge.  I put the electric wire in some pvc pipes and framed it around the gate.  We can go in and out of the pasture without getting shocked.


The next morning while Darling Husband was at work and the kids at school between my morning duty and noon duty, I ran a strand of electric wire.  When DH came home all he had to do was fasten off the two ends.  It isn’t beautiful but it is keeping the cattle where we want them.
The fence is a terrible mess but it is working.

No comments:

Post a Comment