Three days into the fodder experiment I forgot to water the seeds and left the soaking seeds soaking for 48 hours not 24. Since then I have been very good about getting enough water on the seeds and we bought a grow light to help the fodder turn green. The night we fed the tray of fodder with the seeds that soaked an extra day; it was slimy and not all the seeds sprouted so the animals got some pretty yucky fodder. So soaking 48 hours is not advised! I also think I may be keeping the trays too wet. When I put the holes in the trays I put them in the bottom of the trays it is more difficult because the bottom of the trays have little channels in them, Darling Husband pokes the holes into the side as close to the bottom as possible but the channels never empty – it seems the trays with the holes on the sides do not sprout as well. We are learning.
This Christmas we made a chicken coop for our oldest daughter and gave her 5 chickens and a miniature rooster. Maybe in spring she will have enough eggs to share with us. The person who gave us the chickens has offered to give us more. He knows a lot of local poultry people, I am hoping he may be a connection for getting some Red Bourbon Turkeys in the spring.