Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Plumbing and More Dr's

Darling Husband’s truck blew it’s head or engine and now needs to have it’s engine rebuilt.  We have a rental house that is almost 100 years old.  It has been having plumbing problems: a few little things, like one of the kids jumping on a hose and breaking the pipe it’s attached to and the toilet regularly backing up weekly.  Finally Darling Husband told me to call a plumber about the toilet backing up.  The plumber we found came out and kindly without charging us told us we needed to get the septic tank pumped.  He said he didn’t think it needed to have a snake go through the line and we just needed to get the tank pumped.  Darling Husband said “Have it snaked anyway”.  But I listened to the plumber and didn’t make him do the snake.  The next day, I called around trying to get the soonest pumping we could and it was going to be 5 days later.  UGG so I ordered a port a potty for our poor tenants.  We got the tank pumped and the toilet still wouldn’t flush.  So I called the plumber out again but he would not make it until the next day. 
We also did some tree trimming and spilt about 4 cords of fire wood.  Hopefully we got all the trees that would have caused trouble if we ever get rain.

I spent time working with the dogs trying to get them to stay home but a week after we were home from the hospital Teen Son had some side effects from the steroids that he is taking for ADEM and he needed to be checked out.
Then a few days later he had some new pains and reactions related to ADEM so back to Children’s Hospital we went again.  On the way to the hospital my tenant called me saying they picked up the port a potty.  UGG I totally forgot about them.  I called the plumber and gave them College Daughter’s phone number and made sure the old house was on the list for being taken care of that day. 
While we were at the hospital College Girl called me in tears to say the Hen we had brooding on her eggs, had broken most of them and was not taking care of the rest of the eggs and as she walked by she saw Palm was dead.  What should she do?  I couldn’t help at all sitting in Children’s.  I advised her to look on the internet to see what to do about the eggs or call a friend.  Thankfully Oldest Daughter was able to help her move the surviving eggs and put them into an incubator. Teen Son and I spent the next 6 hours at Children’s Hospital making sure everything was in the “normal” range. 
Ducks love swimming around the aireator.  
  Stick Boy had an appointment at Children’s Hospital that afternoon, so I got College Girl to pick up Stick Boy from school and meet us at a Half way point and she switched brothers with me.  She drove Teen Son home and I went back to Children’s Hospital.  Stick boy has Trigger Thumbs, his thumbs get locked in a bent position, but doesn’t need surgery at this time.  When I got home I wanted nothing more than a glass of wine but Darling Husband had to meet the plumber and the animals still needed to be taken care of.  Bad news from the plumber, ALL THE PIPES NEED TO BE REPLACED. 
  The next day Teen Daughter needed me to take her places so I couldn’t work with the dogs those days.    

We got Luca fixed so he had to sleep in my bedroom for a week.  We hoped that would stop or slow down his roaming.  Not yet!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you listened to your plumber. Sometimes, it's best to ask and listen to a professional, though the times when you can trust your gut and do the repairs by yourself shouldn't be totally ruled out. I think you made the better judgment that time, though. It would've been bad if things had gotten any worse than they were. I hope everything is okay now. Good luck!

    Mark R @ Pure Plumbing Service

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, We are do-it-yourselfers but often go to experts for repair consultation. Also Darling Husband will not run a snake down a drain. So often we have the plumber run the snake then Darling Husband does the grunt work.

      Delete