Friday, September 7, 2012

Midnight Herding


We are going to leave the kids in charge and Darling Husband and I will go pick up some cattle.  In an effort to make things easier for the kids we put an ancient 1 horse trailer in the electric enclosure so the sheep can sleep.  Then the kids can just open the trailer and let the sheep out in the morning and heard them into it in the evening.  Coyotees can get into the windows of the trailer if they really want to but we figure with Onyx and the electric fence around the trailer that will keep the coyotes safe.  Sounds good right? 

At midnight my daughter comes into my room saying it sounds like coyotes are with the sheep.  Darling Husband and I throw on shoes and run out to check on the animals.  The sheep are fine Thank God!  But Onyx is missing!  Thankfully the moon is full and we find Onyx in the pasture with the horses.  We move the sheep back into the coyote proof enclosure and leave Onyx were she is.  We get back to bed at 1:30.  The next morning I ask my neighbor and Onyx went to visit her horse and eat the hay she had sitting out after the coyotes chased her.  Happy Days!  

No comments:

Post a Comment