Thursday, September 20, 2012

Still Waiting



We have had the new cattle 2 ½ weeks now.  The original shipment of fencing is still missing.  UPS Freight is very hard to deal with and asks me the same questions every time I call, promising to return calls but never calling me back.  Kencove Farm Fence Supply has been good to communicate with and Friday reshipped the order Air Freight.  It should be here today.  I am so thankful the Dexter Cattle are such easy going cattle.  They have not really even pushed out the bottom of the fence to get to the grass on the other side.  Knock on Wood!  I have called  UPS over and over again and keep getting the same answer my shipment should be here Thursday so this weekend we will put up the new fence in the new pasture and move the cattle Saturday or Sunday.  We are almost going through a bale of hay a day so not having the fence is getting expensive. 

Darling Husband finished the gate for the top of the pasture.  

We will continue to use the old gate at the bottom. 

 This is the road most friends take to go up to DH’s shop I am betting we will be putting so we can drive up the road without opening gates really soon.  DH says he will improve the ranch road that goes around the house.  I actually like that idea better but we will have to move some rock walls and do landscaping.  Funny how every job around here leads to 3 more.
Ruby and Hope
I have been working with the cattle every day.  When we got them they were not afraid of people but didn’t like us much.   Right now I can pet all of the older Cattle while they are eating.  Hope (the calf) is very fearful.  Hope’s mom, Ruby will even let me put my arms around her neck and walk up to her without food in my hands.  One of the steers Filet is very friendly but Mignon is a little more skittish.  I wasn’t really planning on trying to work with the steers since they will be in the freezer as soon as they are big enough but Filet likes the attention.  Having halter trained cattle is so much easier than them being wild so if I can work with Fillet and Mignon I might as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment