Thursday, May 19, 2016

New Tenant

We have a barn with a two bedroom apartment on the second story.  Our tenants who have been there for 4 years are leaving us.  Finding a new tenant is always a challenge.  Will we like them and want them to stay? How will they take care of the barn? Will they get along with the other tenants? Will they like us?  It's like dating.  So far we have been incredibly lucky and friendly with our tenants. I am still sad that one of our Tenants/friends the moved back to another state - No I'm not a crazy emotional person. 
 We are a hobby farm.  When people ask why we don't own horses I joke that you can't eat them.  We love watching horses but don't want the expense or care of the horse.  SO when we are looking for a new tenant having a horse puts that person up several notches on our list.  This time in our tenant search we were lucky enough to have 3 people we thought would be great choices.  
Darling Husband and I chose the person that sounded best.  We had her over last night to sign the contract and work things out.  Stick Boy was excited to have such a friendly person with friendly animals move in.  Darling Husband and I were thrilled with everything she wanted to do on the property.  Then right before she left she said, "I'm a vegan.  I hope you don't butcher your animals on the property."  

I am sure my mouth dropped open before I could stop it.  

I do remember when we were showing her the property she said something to the effect of she hoped I didn't eat my cows.  And I replied "We don't eat the cows.  We also have 2 steers and they are only good for one thing."  So we talked a while longer and we will let her know before any animals go to freezer camp or become quests of honor at a BBQ.  Hopefully this will be another beginning of happy tenants and neighbors.  


No comments:

Post a Comment