Saturday, March 9, 2013

I Want Turkeys Part 1


I want turkeys.  I have been looking up information and want to stick with heritage animals.  I have chosen a breed.  I have not been in a big hurry.  We are busy enough.  We got our oldest daughter chickens for Christmas we do not need anything else for a while. 

Darling Husband was driving by a local feed store and they were having a Chick Extravaganza.  He came home all excited!  “We should go!” 

“I don’t want chickens”

“It will be fun, we don’t need to buy anything!”

“I have a lot to do, I don’t want to go!”

Then Teen Son joined in, “Let’s go check it out”!

“We have friends we can get free chickens from if we want chickens.”

“We are not buying we are just looking!”

Yes we went!  Yes looking into Darling Husband’s eyes and Teen Son’s eyes I had to stop saying no.  They melt my heart even though buying these chickens made no sense.  Chicks were dead in the boxes we were looking at, they were too young to buy.  We had no coup, we were not ready for chickens.  We brought home 6.  We cleaned out a cat crate and put them in it with Chicken Starter and water.  They were not in good shape.  In 2 hours 2 of them had died, by bed time 1 more was dead, and in the morning 1 more was dead. 

The two survivors started feeling better and moving around by the afternoon they had discovered they could get through the holes in the cat crate so we had to put cardboard around it.  Laurel and Hardy seem to be doing well and thriving.  

No comments:

Post a Comment