This summer I hit the "I Can't Take it Anymore" point on the carpet in the main rooms in my house. I started with buying a 5 of rolls of paper, a wood grain tool, a rough bristle brush, and about 5 gallons of paint.
Darling Husband set up a work station 2 metal doors under an easy up.
I could roll out and tape down the paper the size of the doors.
Then down a base coat with a light cheap paint with the rough bristle brush.
When that dried I would use paint of a different color and using a wood graining tool I made sheets of "wood" about 3 feet x 6.5 feet.
A few of my color options:
dark with light on top
A lot depended on the temperature and wind when I was painting the paper always absorbed a lot of paint so sometimes I would throw some water onto the paper or dilute the paint, so the paint wouldn't dry to work with or get too thick. I should have diluted the paint more because the papers with really thick paint ended up being very hard to work with.
After I thought I painted more than I would ever need I started cutting the paper into wood strips. I chose 5 inch and 2 1/4 inch strips because I like the look of wood floors that have more than one size in them and since I was the one cutting the paper I could do it anyway I wanted.
We ripped out the carpet on the main floor of the house and upstairs walkway, cleaned and sanded
the floors. Then we started gluing the strips.
Then we put on 3 coats of polyurithane. We have had it for almost 3 months and a few problem spots that I didn't get glued down well enough. I plan on doing a few patches.