Sunday, January 31, 2016

Piggies!

In November we sent the pigs to be processed.  I sold one for the cost of processing the one we wanted to eat, so we were able to put almost 200lbs of meat in the freezer for less than $2.00 a pound.  We are LOVING eating it but it is clear I did not get enough of it made into sausage.  We decided to buy 2 more pigs; one to sell and one to turn into sausage and bacon.
Yesterday Darling Husband, Stick Boy, and I went to pick out 2 pigs.  His friend took us to meet the woman he buys his pigs from.  I have never seen so many pigs, big happy pigs, adorable day old pigs, old sows with young piglets playing around them - it was so overwhelming I didn't take any pictures.
While we were there picking out or piglets to grow for sausage Darling Husband says lets start breeding pigs.  It's not in the plan but if you have read my blog you know not much of what we do is in the plan.  Sure lets breed pigs!  We chose 2 piglets that were not related and put them in the travel crate.  It is then I reminded Darling Husband that if we breed these we will not have any sausages for summer.  So we borrowed money from his friend and bought a third pig.
The piglets are checking out the sheep.  They kept running up to the fence.  Here is Maxwell wondering why the piggies get more fodder than she does. 

No comments:

Post a Comment