Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Introducing Black Jersey Giants

In our goal to have all meat products grown on our property we bought chickens again.  Our feed store had 8 Black Jersey Giant’s and we brought home all of them.  
They spent their first few nights in Stick Boy’s room but they outgrew the aquarium we had them in quickly. 
I let them into my fenced in garden a few afternoons to give them freedom from the aquarium and get them used to us and Oakley and Luca.  
Then we moved them into the chicken coop with the old TV cabinet so I could keep them warm with a heat lamp.  


They grew wonderfully but on the third day I let them out I forgot 2 things: Oakley is still a 1 year old puppy and not to be trusted, and I am easily distracted.  I did not check on them often enough.  
That night when I went to put them up I could only find 3 of the 8 chickens.  The turkey and hen were fine but after an hour of looking I could only find 3 and unfortunately 1 of them had been in Oakleys mouth, it was unharmed but still not how Oakley is supposed to take care of the chickens.  I never found any feathers of the others.  The next day one of the chickens came home and gave me hope that more would come home but still we have not found any of the 4 missing chickens. 


No comments:

Post a Comment