Friday, October 17, 2014

Growing Turkeys

The turkeys are growing so fast sometimes I think they look bigger every morning. 
We started with getting Luca used to the turkeys.  
Every morning and evening they go out so they can stretch their wings, run, and forage for food. 
When we got Oakley we started working with her right away to train her to not chase the turkeys. 
Unfortunately we had two wild chickens that I didn’t train Oakley with.  I thought I had trained her to turkeys she would accept the chickens…. 
1) Livestock Guardian Dogs are not supposed to be considered trustworthy until they are 2 years old 
2) I didn’t think about how Oakley would respond when the chicken started stealing the turkey’s food 
3) Livestock Guardian’s are supposed to be introduced to animals that are accepted on the property.  
We no longer have wild chickens.  Totally my fault! 
 Oakley is amazing with the turkeys. 
She will watch the turkeys run, flap wings, even chase her and she has not acted aggressive at all.
Teen Son will be selling 5 of the turkeys for Thanksgiving.  That will be a whole new adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment