Wednesday, May 15, 2013

Problems With Growing Fodder


Trying to grow fodder in a room that is not climate controlled has it’s challenges.  It’s our weather.  We are blessed to live where we have very few days that freeze.  BUT as soon as we set up my fodder room outside we had a record cold wave.  Durring winter/cold weather it was taking 10 to 12 days to grow the fodder.  We kept a heater on at night but that just kept everything from freezing.  Then we had some hot humid weather and I started having mold problems.  They were taken care of by adding H2O2 to my routine.  Last week we had near record high heat with humidity in the low teens and I couldn’t keep my seeds wet enough.  The seeds that had sprouted already LOVED the warmth and grew to record (for us) heights.  I tried setting empty seed trays on top of the seeds that had not sprouted to keep the moisture in and that seemed to help but also started some mold growth.  Then our hot weather was followed by a late storm.  It was cold and wet, but not wet enough to help with our rainfall.  The fodder growing slowed down with that weather change.  That was followed by record heat again.
The fodder room has 6 shelves long enough for 12 trays of fodder.  I had been putting the trays for each day going across the shelves horizontally but because of not being able to climate control the room for probably months now I need to figure out how to keep everything growing.  Keeping the seeds and early sprouts moist has been my big issue; so I am in the process of moving all the trays so each day is vertical.  This way when the seeds need extra water I am not giving it to the trays of fodder that do not need it. 


Add to that problems with both well and city water and I am just thankful to keep the fodder growing.. but that’s another story.  

No comments:

Post a Comment