Sunday, May 22, 2016

Lambs

We let the ram and ewes stay together year round.  This means I have no idea when anyone will have a baby.  During spring when other sheep and goat owners were saying my lamb is due is 3 days I was jealous.  I had no idea.  On the other hand I know sheep owners who take time off of work so they can make sure they are ready for complications during the birthing process. We chose our sheep for hardiness: that means easy to take care of.  So I don't have to keep track of dates and we have had healthy lambs that don't need to be watched or bottle fed.
And the advantages are surprises in the pen in the morning!
March 28th
Dot had these two rams while we were at Senior Son's boat race.  
I was sure Deer would be next.
The next morning Mini-Me had a single ram.
Mini-me is our only first time mom and such a Mama's girl that her mom had a really hard time when I decided to keep them locked in the pen for a few hours before they started roaming the property.  


Then we had an endless 2 days were poor Deer just kept getting bigger and bigger.  


And finally she had 2 ram lambs.
They were big sturdy guys so I let them run with everyone the first day.  
Look at this little guy not even 12 hours old and already trying to steal food from his mom!
He really is a beautiful lamb.










No comments:

Post a Comment