Saturday, November 17, 2012

A Beautiful Morning


Blackwell and Deer in front.
This morning I got up before anyone else, threw the ball for our dog as I fed the cattle, started watering the lawn, put frozen Hash-browns in the oven, and put the dog back in his crate.  Pre Teen Daughter got up but saw I was working and didn't want to start on her chores so she went back to bed.  I decided this morning was the day to worm the sheep.  I have had the wormer for about a month but Procrastination always has had me put the wormer away when I had lots of help.  What made me decide to do it on this cool cloudy peaceful morning by myself?  You Tube Videos!  I guess it isn't only teen boys that get great ideas off of You Tube.  Sheep shearers flip the sheep up into a sitting position and the sheep get scared and go limp.  Then it’s smooth and easy to do what you want to the sheep – should go for putting wormer in their mouth too – right?  I grabbed Blackwell our biggest sheep also the friendliest sheep and she let me squirt the wormer in her mouth easy peasy.  Yay this looked like it would be easy!  Next I grab Juanita Deer who is our second biggest and most skittish sheep, she wasn't happy started kicking at me I had trouble flipping her but finally succeeded in flipping her on her butt she calmed down like magic.  It was amazing.  I went to put the wormer in her mouth and guess what the limp body doesn't include a limp mouth!  So there I was trying to balance Deer’s back between my legs, hold her head and pry her mouth open with one hand and squeeze the wormer in her mouth with the other hand.  I am sorry I don’t have a video or even pictures of this to show you but thankful no one saw me looking so foolish. Finally Deer opened her mouth and I had success.  
Dot and Maxwell were easy after I figured it out with Deer and they both opened their mouths easily.  I let the sheep out of the pen to wander around eating for the day.  As I walked down to the house a Snowy Egret floated over my head down to the pond.  What a glorious way to start my morning.

No comments:

Post a Comment